Mum-of-three Sally Jones said she felt ill after opening a tin of her own brand of baked beans from Asda in Bexleyheath, south-east London, to find what looked like rotten meat inside.
Image: Deadline News)
An Asda customer was horrified after opening a can of beans and finding what ‘looked like a dead mouse’ inside.
Sally Jones said she felt ill after opening the tin of Asda-branded baked beans at her local store in Bexleyheath, southeast London, last Saturday.
The 29-year-old accounts manager says she bought the beans last month and was cooking lunch for her son Reign when she made the disgusting discovery.
Footage shows the open box filled with brown mud and mold with barely an identifiable bean in sight.
The can opener and lid are shown lying in the background next to the vile can of 32p beans.
The standard red tomato sauce was replaced with a pool of watery brown stuff – resembling stale meat.
Mum-of-three Sally also snapped a photo showing the base of the box which gives an expiration date of January 2023.
She shared images of the Reigning Beans on Facebook on Saturday January 8, writing: “I’m going to be sick 10,000,000 times. Just opened a can of beans to try Reign for lunch and it was inside .
“It’s up to date, bought recently. What a real hell.
“My stomach right now, what is it. Never again to feed my kids stuff from a box or buy from Asda brand.”
Dozens of disgusted viewers left comments on the post after being equally horrified.
Stevie Ferdinando said: “I would never shop at Asda again. I hate the store anyway, it’s getting worse. Email them this photo.”
Jennifer Bensaidane simply said: “F**k. I have trouble looking at the pictures and it’s very rare I swear but it’s disgusting.
“Do you take everything back to show them? I hope so, you could get some compensation.
Samantha Greenwood said: “It looks like a gremlin about to hatch. Why do these things always happen to you?”
Dee Reynolds said, “Where’s the vomit reaction? It looks like a scary sci-fi scene.”
And Leah Cee said, “Don’t inhale any of it. Wrap it up and leave it outside in the trash.
“I swear breathing rotten canned food can cause botulism.”
Speaking today, Sally said: “I bought the beans just before Christmas but when I opened them on Saturday I immediately knew something was wrong.
“As soon as I opened it, the smell was like something from beyond the grave. It was horrible. Like a mouse had died in that box.
“I spoke to Asda via email and phone but they weren’t helpful at all.
“I sent pictures but they didn’t do anything except offer me a refund.
“I still have the box, I plan to send it to food safety!”
An Asda spokesperson said: “We have set ourselves very high standards and in the rare event that a box is damaged, it can lead to mold buildup.
“We have not received any complaints regarding our beans, so we would recommend that any customer unhappy with a product return it to the store or speak to our customer service team so we can investigate what happened.”